For my readers out there who haven't heard, today, April 15, 2013 was the Boston Marathon. One of the biggest marathons in the world. Three bombs have gone off just a few meters from where I used to work and where I lived. My sister works in the area. Boston isn't my hometown but it is my second home. I began my adult life there. I can tell you each business lining that street, where I'd meet friends, how I loved to sit by the fountain at Copley on my break, and which food trucks are in front of the library on what day. If I had decided against trying teaching last September, I might have still been working in that area. I would have finished work right around that time and then gone out to watch the runners finish.
While I am incredibly relieved to hear my friends and family are alright, I am still distraught that this senseless act of violence occurred in a place I hold so dear. Just today I expressed how beyond joyous I am to return to Boston and see the faces and places I love. Today has been a very dark day. I still await my return to the U.S. with great anticipation. Everyone has an extra tight hug coming their way.
My prayers and thoughts go out to those injured and the families of the dead.
I hope yours do, too.
Edit: There were only two bombs that exploded and more undetonated bombs. The incident at the JFK Library is being reported as an unrelated mechanical fire.
No comments:
Post a Comment