Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A difficult and sleep-deprived night.

Watching and reading every update is disturbing and heartbreaking. I couldn't sleep much last night, still wondering and waiting to hear about friends, former coworkers and classmates, and even former bosses. I was finally able to sleep after a while but with lack of hydration and sleep, my nerves were still shaky. I spoke with my younger sister who works about a ten minute walk from the blast site who told me more details about the aftermath she witnessed. Her work is right by the Mass General Hospital so it was a very busy area. When our conversation devolved into just, "I love you so much, I was so scared," repeated over and over, I never wanted to be at home more.

I thank my friends who attempted to lighten my mood since I and they know how much of a motherly worrier I tend to be. A couple sixth graders in my morning classes asked me what was wrong (I wasn't exactly as chipper as my normal self) and I couldn't help but cry. I pulled myself together quickly and just explained that sometimes the world is a sad place.

It was so surreal being in such a small world here. No one had a clue of the events across the ocean. My students went about their normal day, nothing had changed for them. No matter who I talk to here, they don't seem to understand. While it's frustrating to me that I don't have anyone here who can offer an empathetic hug or even a sympathetic one, I guess I have to remember that perhaps they don't have a feeling to compare. Violent crimes aren't even much of an issue here. In this I envy people. I hope no one ever has to experience what happened at the Boston Marathon.

I have a very deep love for Boston. I used to go on walks with my friend Chelsea and I said the reason I love Boston is because while New York has stories, Boston speaks. I don't mean that I don't like New York (although I do prefer Boston) but you can feel Boston breathe. It's an old friend and a warm hug. I always feel at home and it's the one city I'd probably want to move back to if I ever decide to raise a family in the U.S. And throughout all the press releases and briefings the politicians and police are right, Boston is a tough little city and they'll get through it.


1 comment:

  1. I understand that it is hard for you being miles away. That said I am glad you are. Be grateful that you are safe. I worry about your sister. She is feeling very vulnerable right now. I want her to get through this terrible time and pray she is resilient enough. My heart goes out to all the victims in Boston. Yes; we will all get through it. In one way or another. I pray that this will never happen again. Only Allah knows.

    ReplyDelete