Friday, October 11, 2013

Secret desires that are maybe not so secret.

I talk about women's education and rights a lot. I get this surge of pride yet desperation on the subject. I wish more people felt as strongly as I do about the subject. Even as I'm writing this, I am trying to avoid going off on a long speech about how even in the "developed world" girls are expected to dream in pink castles and ponies and (maybe not purposely) sets limits to what she is expected to achieve. But I feel a little helpless when it comes to doing something about this. I don't really have money to donate nor do I have the luxury of running off volunteer as a teacher. But if I could set aside my student loans and could raise enough money for a plane ticket, I would do it in a heartbeat. The dream coming in at second place is working with orangutans but that's an entirely different story.

I  know I have mentioned her before but Malala Yousafzai is one amazing 16-year-old. Not only do I find her bravery and courage admirable but her compassion speaks volumes beyond that. It is something to strive for in ourselves. Those are the qualities that I want in myself and Insha Allah my future children. I really do believe that love is louder.

No comments:

Post a Comment