I am not an English grammar/spelling machine. I am not the grammar police once I step outside of the classroom. Once I leave the classroom I turn that switch off. My brain likes to think about different things like chocolate and my next cup of coffee or contemplating whether I should wear that sweater with the slightly smelly armpits or stick it in the wash and wear something else.
While at social events or in passing many people comment to me that their English is terrible but I'll let you in on a secret: I'm not paying attention to see if you used the present perfect continuous tense properly. I'm so incredibly grateful for normal human interaction with people older than 13 and to whom I don't have to explain a grammar rule. I think my brain would explode if I had my English teacher switch turned on all the time. The only thing that activates the grammar machine outside of class is if someone uttered something completely nonsensical. I'm used to being around non-native English speakers and I'm used to mispronounced words and slightly garbled mixed sentences but I understand the overall message.
No comments:
Post a Comment