Friday, July 5, 2013

Is that sweat or the stench of freedom?

I'm aware I'm a walking advertisement for Boston. Everyone whom I talk to, I brag about Boston's beauty and relaxed nature. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but if I were to ever settle in a city in the U.S., Boston would be among my top choices. I'm so glad I was up here for the Independence Day surrounded by friends who bring so much joy to my life. They're people who in my mind represent tolerance, love, freedom, and joy. I know, I'm super cheesy and a complete dreamer, idealist, blah, blah, blah head in the clouds blah blah.

  1. I couldn't change if I tried
  2. Everyone can just shut up, the world needs dreamers and do-gooders
  3. I'm fantastic and entertaining
Anyway, how I feel about extravagant (and tasteful) shows of patriotism like the 4th of July is similar to how I felt being at the Eastside Gallery in Berlin. I felt this swell of happiness and pride just for being human. I know our system and government is screwed up but I think about a lot of the opportunities I am afforded by living here. I think about my father's upbringing in Indonesia and how hard he worked to push past his circumstances so that he could have a chance at a better life for him and his future family. It's hard and a constant struggle but he makes it work. Watching the fireworks over the Charles River with people who accepted me for all I am and all my faults and all my quirks was the most perfect way to spend a day dedicated to the idea of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment