Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Forget the BFF necklaces, just buy me a slice of pizza and give me the strongest hug you can muster.

My last trip to Boston was rather bittersweet. I was so happy to see people before I make my long journey back to Czech. I didn’t see too many people. I am not a person who has a large group of friends. I just have a small group of really good friends that I'm sad to leave yet again. I’ve never really had friends I with whom I was close until college when I met Chelsea. We kind of just fit as family. It was so hard for me when she fractured her ankle and had to move back in with her parents. I didn’t really have anyone I felt I could talk to about everything. When I started working at the café, I met Anisha and Mladen. While the café was far from my favorite job (only because the owner was a ridiculous tyrant) I have no regrets about that job. I would never have met these two individuals and probably would never have received inspiration to travel or teach. When it comes to Anisha, the reason I love being her friend is because we can talk about anything under the sun without judgment. She’s does her best to be honest with herself and really takes in all life lessons to try to become better as a person. Mladen is a jokester (as am I) and I'm not sure why I feel connected to him and can confide in him. He kind of reminds me of my dad in relation to his thoughts and views on family, his sense of humor, and inner child. I really respect these two individuals. 

I was talking to Anisha about my choice of friends in the past and why they never really stuck. I think it’s pretty simple, those people didn’t have a lot of respect for me and I didn’t have much respect for myself. I know that pretty sounds condescending and I don’t mean that those people were bad but when I was younger I was so desperate for a friend that I didn’t really think about what the basis of a good friendship should be. The similar interests were there but there was still a lack of connection and respect. I guess you’re not expected to figure these things out until you’ve experienced the world a bit. I really mean it when I say I don’t regret most things even though a good chunk of my life has been a far cry from ideal. I wouldn’t know what I know now if I didn’t go through these experiences and increasingly I really like who I am turning out to be. I know a lot of people say "I wish I knew then what I know now" or "I wish I could meet younger me so I could share my wisdom." I don't really like these sayings or ideas. What I mean is that my parents told me all these life lessons when I was younger. Does that mean I really truly listened and let those life lessons reflect in my life choices? No. I still went out and made mistakes so I don’t really think another adult telling me what to do would have mattered. I needed to learn the hard way and I think that everyone needs the figurative knocking to the ground so that these lessons and humility really stick. Making the world better starts with making yourself better.

I won’t see Anisha for a while which makes me really sad but I am excited to visit Mladen in Serbia. He said I can hang out with his aunt and grandma on their plum farm. :)

I'm leaving for Czech in a week so I'm crossing off the last things on my to-do list. One of those things was to go to the New England Aquarium. While looking at the tanks I was thinking two things: 1) Coooollll and 2) I want to eat you. But I spotted this guy all by his lonesome in his own tank. I snapped a picture and shared it with a few people but Mladen’s response takes the cake. So I am happy to introduce “Ocean Sheitan.”


No comments:

Post a Comment