Monday, November 12, 2012

The swing of things.

I'm getting there. I had my first day of classes. It wasn't so bad. Some of the kids are super excited about learning English and some need a lot more encouragement. Tomorrow is the real test, I am teaching three classes at a public school (ahhhhhhh). I am hoping it won't be too bad. Fingers crossed. Knock on wood. Lady luck please be on my side.

In the meantime here is a screenshot of where I live:

See that building smack-dab in the middle? That's the elementary school and the entrance to my apartment is right at the back of it. Sooooo yes, I do live in a janitor's flat but hey, it's warm, I have a bed, a shower, and a kitchen, no complaints here. The street is called Škroupova. The language here has so many sh, zh, ch, and v sounds, I love it.

I met another American teacher here. His name is Brian. I observed his state school classes this morning. Oh man, were those kids naughty. I feel bad for the guy. This is why I am a little nervous for tomorrow. The other teacher, Daniel, is leaving at the end of November because his father is ill and so he's going back to the U.S. to take care of him. It sucks but family is family. I am trying to meet more Czechs but it's a little hard with the language barrier. I am trying to plan a trip to Dresden, Germany with some of the other teachers. Apparently the Christmas markets can't be beat and while I don't celebrate Christmas, it would be nice to go and maybe get some gifts for people back home. The only problem is shipping them. Quite honestly, I am terrified of stepping into a Czech post office where I am sure they don't speak English. 

No comments:

Post a Comment