So they're a noisy bunch of kids but alright. I gave the fifth and sixth graders and assessment today just to see where the previous teacher left off. I had the students write five or six sentences about various topics. The sixth graders had to write about their family. One girl wrote, "Is it your grandpa? No, it isn't. My grandpa is dead." I know it's sad but when I read that I burst out laughing. The girl is so unintentionally morbid. Very smart but morbid. Another girl thought I didn't like her because I stopped her a little early. I tried to explain to her that her sentences were perfect and she got a 1 (highest grade). I had to ask the Czech teacher to explain to her that it was really really good.
The fifth graders were tougher. I wanted to keep them all occupied but it's hard keeping them all focused. One girl who is very shy and had to coax her to talk a little more. She ended up drawing a picture of me (a very pretty one, too) and wrote "I like Ariana" on the side. Awwwwwwww haha.
My afternoon third graders were so jumpy. There were three girls and one boy. The boy, Mathias, was so shy and so I know he'll need a lot more encouragement. All three girls wouldn't stop hugging me. I was talking to Daniel (another American teacher here) and he said it's probably because they're happy they have a teacher who is friendly and smiling compared to their previous English teacher. I'm just happy their excited about English.
No comments:
Post a Comment