Monday, March 25, 2013

If you're craving seafood, don't settle for fish sticks.

I've been in a little funk. It's freezing outside, the sun keeps trying to push through but fails, and I am missing home. Coming in second place against the people I love in the U.S. is food. I went to the supermarket today and looked longingly at the package of shrimp that costs almost 500kč (appx. $25). Sometimes the little things get me down and I lose sight of the bigger picture but there is always someone or something to pull me back. Today's post is inspired by none other than my crazy, weird, and awesome Serbian friend, Mladen. He sent me this video today that really lifted my spirits:
This pertains to several aspects of life: career, love, grocery shopping, etc. As far as my career goes, I made a big leap and regret nothing (except maybe my nose at the moment, which is raw from me blowing gross, infected snot into tissues all weekend, and yes, I know I'm charming). I am doing something I enjoy and can see my future self continuing to do this. I am considering going for my Master's degree but I'll wait a little while since I should probably try to pay off more off my students loans before taking out any more. 

As far as love goes, that still has a ways to go but I won't give up. There have been a few interested individuals here in Czech (surprisingly) but I find myself yawning at all of them. Not interested. But I worry sometimes that I'll get married too old (or not at all). I am waiting for a kindred spirit but how long should I wait? If I am to be honest, I've entertained the thought of my parents setting me up. They would find me an honest, good man but call me a romantic (and I blame my parents for this) because I want to see something special as well. I don't mean sweep-me-off-my-feet romantic, that's a naive marketing ploy but special in the way that we click the way my closest friends and I click. I make friends easily but there are very few people in my inner circle. I would want whomever is my future husband to fit into that circle. What can I say? I am picky. I am the girl who would only eat peanut butter, jam, and fluff sandwiches when I was little. Although my palate has developed beyond confectionary condiments, I am still a creature of habit. I guess all I can do is have faith and trust in myself. I had a feeling about teaching and I went for it, perhaps it will be the same in this part of my life. 

Anyway this is a little personal. I don't usually delve that far into my feelings to anonymous readers; usually it's just when I'm sharing a plate of gooey nachos with my closest friends. My point is, don't settle and don't sit around but also if something doesn't come along immediately, don't worry, there is still some time to get it right. When the time is right, your gut will tell you. But my real point here is that I will just keep going and try to put on my sweetest smile until I get my next paycheck and don't feel an ounce of guilt when buying that package of shrimp. 

No comments:

Post a Comment