Saturday, January 5, 2013

Stereotypes.

Before coming to Czech, I wanted to know what Czech people were like so I went to the source of all sources: Google. I read that people tended to have chilly dispositions but warmed to you rather quickly. I found that they were not far off. Actually everyone I've met here has been incredibly wonderful and helpful to an ignorant American (I try to be as polite and as little a nuisance as possible because well, I tend to be very awkward most of the time despite my numerous attempts to be graceful and composed).  Yesterday, I went to a restaurant for lunch and again, I very clearly stick out so the waitress almost immediately asked me if I'd like an English menu. I said yes but I could actually read most of the menu (I think).

Anyway, that's not the point of this entry. I had some down time today since classes don't start up again until Monday so I decided I would look on the internet what foreigners think of Americans. I already kind of know that people expect us to all be 200+ pounds, rude, flaky, and materialistic. Now I hope I don't come off that way. I do like my "me" time but that's because I, like many others in the entire world am a bit more of an introvert and while I like to be rowdy and have fun, too much external stimulation exhausts me. Anyway, I was so surprised to see how often people generalize Americans. I'm not saying everyone is completely wrong, I have seen and overheard people who meet this stereotype but in a country that's so incredibly diverse it's hard to just have one identity. We are a country of immigrants from all over the world and those of us who were born and raised in the U.S. are different according to our regional culture. Just because we're from the same country doesn't mean we're all the same. Personally, I think I differ from other Americans I grew up with because of 1) my religion and 2) my biracial background. It offered a unique perspective while growing up. But I think this is one of the great things about America. Yes, there are several, several, several flaws but it's a meeting place for all cultures and religions.

I met Kristy's friend, Paul, while we were staying in Praha. That night he commented on how most people have this over-generalized view of Americans while Kristy and I are proof that there are level-headed, kind, petite Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment