So, I really do love my job. The little kids are hilarious and even if they drive me up the wall some days, I can never stay mad at them. I envy their simplicity and admire their open hearts. Here are some things I wish I could say to them but don't because they have no idea what I'm saying.
1) Okay, no matter how many times you say this phrase in Czech, I will not understand, I am very sorry. To show you I care, I will now start guessing and miming all the possible options I can think of.
2) Yes, hello Martin who likes to point his finger guns at me to say, "Hey English lady!", please continue to repeat the five English words you know. (Part of that is sarcastic but I wish I could sneak him into my class because he seems like he really wants to learn)
3) Oh hello again little girl, thank you for the hug and all the other hugs you give me every single time I set foot in this school but I'm sorry, I have no idea who you are.
4) Hello two little girls who like to stroke my clothing. I don't know how to respond when you do this, I have no idea who you are.
5) Kids, I know you think Gangnam Style is super fun and hilarious but at seven years old with a limited grasp of the English language, do you even know what a "sexy lady" is?
6) Yes, little girl, I know your name is Marketa. You've only repeated it to me every thirty seconds for the entire forty-five minute lesson. I think I got it. But just in case, next time, I'll bring name tags.
7) Little girls who insist on holding my hand while we walk to class, you make my job so worth while. Finally, validation from human beings that are not members of my family.
8) Crazy wild little boys, while I tend to yell and put you in the corner for misbehaving, you're so much more entertaining than watching T.V. The little, rare moments when you're unbelievably unselfish and sweet really make me want to cry out of happiness. It actually really makes me look forward to being a mom.
Don't know the language. Hugs and smiles go a long way. Children are from one end of the spectrum to the other. They are lovable one minute and drive you crazy the next. But there is a lot of satisfaction and sweetness along the way. Take for instance your nephew. His smiles just make you melt.
ReplyDelete